This week's Coach's Corner focuses on Intrinsic vs. Extrinsic Goals / Motivators.
Intrinsic - things within your control: your thoughts, your beliefs, your actions.
Extrinsic - things outside of your control: the thoughts and actions of others, the weather, traffic, world politics.
The trick is to craft a goal that is designed / a part of your sphere of control. Example:
- I will get 7.5 hours of sleep every night..
- I will exercise / do range of motions / condition every day for at least 20 minutes.
- I will do Jiu Jitsu daily in one form or another.
- attending formal class 3 days a week (Tu, Th, Sat)
- drilling 2 days a week (Wed + Sun) - 45 min
- watching instructional videos 2 days a week (Mon + Fri) - 20 min
- I will log my experience in my Jiu Jitsu journal daily (5 min)
The key is small, consistent, systematic gains. With consistency, your learning momentum and mojo will compound ... creating long-term growth and development.
Also, we want to use others' success as our inspiration and as a motivator, not as something that becomes a negative competition or petty.
Check out the video:
So, are you focused on the intrinsic goals that will help make you better on a daily basis?
What can YOU do to help your growth and development be the best that it can be?
Do. Daily. Forever! ! !